It Is Finished

By

January 1, 2014

Do you have unfinished tasks around the house? My wife could attest to the fact that I am notorious for doing 85% of a job and leaving the last 15% percent unfinished. The most recent is the hole in the ceiling of our laundry room. We had a pipe that was leaking that required an 8x9” hole be cut to access the pipe. The whole project didn’t take very long, and I left the hole unfinished so everything could dry out. The only problem is that the 8x9” piece of the ceiling is still lying on the floor. The job isn’t completely finished. I could make a list of the all the jobs around the house that are still 15% unfinished. Fortunately, my wife is gracious.

As I think about my unfinished business around the house, I’m thankful for Jesus’ “finished business.” In John 19, we read:

29 A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. 30 When Jesus had tasted it, He said, “It is finished!” Then He bowed His head and released His spirit.

The author of Hebrews expands on this important message of the completion of Jesus’ work:

Hebrews 10:10 – For God’s will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.

Hebrews 9:12 – With His own blood—not the blood of goats and calves—He entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.

Hebrews 7:27 – Unlike those other high priests, He does not need to offer sacrifices every day. They did this for their own sins first and then for the sins of the people. But Jesus did this once for all when He offered himself as the sacrifice for the people’s sins.

Hebrews 9:28 – So also Christ died once for all time as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again, not to deal with our sins, but to bring salvation to all who are eagerly waiting for Him.

In his book Life in Christ, John Stott wrote:

It is inconceivable, therefore, that there could ever be either a higher revelation than God has given through the person of Jesus Christ his Son, or a fuller redemption than he has achieved through the work of Jesus Christ our Savior. Both are perfect and complete.

Sometimes the finished or completed nature of Jesus’ work doesn’t “feel” very real to me. In fact, at times, it feels insufficient because of my past or my current struggles. It feels like that hole in the ceiling of our laundry room…unfinished. Fortunately, God doesn’t do things half way (or 85% of the way). The truth is summed up in that simple phrase, the phrase that speaks of the reality of Jesus’ work of redemption in our lives.

It is finished!


About the Author

Jeff is the founder and director of Being Formed Resources, which provides experientially-based spiritual formation resources, pastoral counseling, and small group ministry. He also trains people to lead formational prayer at Ashland Theological Seminary. He spent 15 years serving the church in full-time ministry before starting Being Formed. He resides in Wooster with his wife Kelly and three daughters.

« Back to Devotionals